The Red Bull Diary   Recent Posts
RSSRSS Friday Free Games
"Your 'reality', sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
— Karl Friedrich Hieronymus, Freiherr von Münchhausen

Bill Gates Knighted

Maybe I don't get the whole knighting thing, but it seems to me that this is just further proof that a knighthood is nothing more than an acknowledgement of fame. I find myself wondering... why does the Queen of England feel it necessary to bestow such a great honor on mere celebrities?

Not to say that all celebrity knightings are bogus. For instance, Paul McCartney, IMHO, was a good choice. He's British, at least, and has had arguably one of the most influential musical careers of anyone in the last fifty years. But do people like Bill Gates, Elton John and Rudy Giuliani belong in the same category?

Labels: , ,

Comments on Bill Gates Knighted
  Comment from Anonymous Anonymous at Saturday, March 05, 2005 8:45:00 AM
That's Rudy, not Rudi. Pfffft =) Point taken on the blog though, I agree whole-heartedly.

Pandora: My Favorite New Songs
LibraryThing: What I'm Currently Reading
Archive Links
Friends of the Red Bull


Sinfest by Tatsuya Ishida

Order of the Stick by Rich Burlew
The Red Bull Diary Is
The Red Bull Diary is the personal pulpit and intellectual dumping-ground for its author, an amateur game designer, professional programmer, political centrist and incurable skeptic. The Red Bull Diary is gaming, game design, politics, development, geek culture, and other such nonsense.