The Red Bull Diary   Recent Posts
RSSRSS Friday Free Games
"Your 'reality', sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
— Karl Friedrich Hieronymus, Freiherr von Münchhausen

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was a lot of fun, but I have to confess I've been a bad geek and have never read the book. Although, I did hear some of the original BBC broadcast of both Hitchhiker's and the entirety of some audio presentation of Restaurant at the End of the Universe. So I can give a half-assed geek-purist review.

What's great about the movie is the presentation of all the hilarious little side-note entries from the Guide itself, such as the babelfish and Vogon poetry. What's not that great was the weird interpretation of Zaphod's two heads, Marvin's Playskool-looking design and some pretty darn mediocre acting. It's a funny movie overall and I laughed, but I wouldn't say run out and see it.

BSR (Base Show Rating): 6/10
Applicable Modifiers:
  • +1 if you like Jim Henson's work. The Vogons looked cool.
  • -1 if you want something very faithful to the books (from what I understand, it was changed quite a bit
Comments on The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Pandora: My Favorite New Songs
LibraryThing: What I'm Currently Reading
Archive Links
Friends of the Red Bull


Sinfest by Tatsuya Ishida

Order of the Stick by Rich Burlew
The Red Bull Diary Is
The Red Bull Diary is the personal pulpit and intellectual dumping-ground for its author, an amateur game designer, professional programmer, political centrist and incurable skeptic. The Red Bull Diary is gaming, game design, politics, development, geek culture, and other such nonsense.