The Red Bull Diary   Recent Posts
RSSRSS Friday Free Games
"Your 'reality', sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
— Karl Friedrich Hieronymus, Freiherr von Münchhausen

Eldameldo

Damn you, Patsy! This one should have been mine!

*huff*

Okay, okay. Thank you, Patsy for sharing this wonderful slice of geek with us: What Tolkien Officially Said About Elf Sex. And you can use this Quenya Wordlist to find out what an Eldameldo is in Quenya.

Yeah, I know I should have used Sindarin, like Patsy did, but she's just showing off. Oooh. Look at me! I can use the Noble Tongue like they did in the movies! Well, if you want to know, there were three lines in Quenya in the movies, too!

...there are at least three prominent examples of spoken Quenya in the movies: Saruman's invocation when he tries to bring down the mountain on the Fellowship (nai yarvaxëa rasselya taltuva notto-carinnar, "may your bloodstained horn collapse upon enemy heads"), Frodo "speaking in tongues" in Shelob's Lair (aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima, "hail Eärendil brightest of stars"), and Aragorn's coronation formula, originally the oath of Elendil when he came to Middle-earth from the ruin of Númenor (et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinomë maruvan, ar hildinyar, tenn' Ambar-metta, "out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world"). The first of these three samples was composed by Tolkien-linguist David Salo using Tolkienian grammar and words; the other two are taken directly from the book.
Quenya - the Ancient Tongue on Ardalambion
So wipe that geekier-than-thou smirk off your face, woman. I will not be out-geeked again!

Comments on Eldameldo
  Comment from Blogger MacFurious at Wednesday, January 11, 2006 3:13:00 PM
You are a giant geek, but she does give you a run for your $$$. I think the whole article is excellent, I've oft wondered about the sexuality of Elves in LoTR. Okay, so I haven't but I did read all the links. :)

Pandora: My Favorite New Songs
LibraryThing: What I'm Currently Reading
Archive Links
Friends of the Red Bull


Sinfest by Tatsuya Ishida

Order of the Stick by Rich Burlew
The Red Bull Diary Is
The Red Bull Diary is the personal pulpit and intellectual dumping-ground for its author, an amateur game designer, professional programmer, political centrist and incurable skeptic. The Red Bull Diary is gaming, game design, politics, development, geek culture, and other such nonsense.