The Red Bull Diary   Recent Posts
RSSRSS Friday Free Games
"Your 'reality', sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
— Karl Friedrich Hieronymus, Freiherr von Münchhausen

Whee!

I nominate the Nintendo Wii (pronounced "we") for the stupidest name for a product ever. Here are some potential advertising taglines riffing on the name:

  • Fans Go "Whee!" For Wii
  • Nintendo Upgrades Wii-fi Connection
  • Nintendo Weens Gamers off Traditional Controllers
  • Nintendo Wiins!
  • Nintendo Wiipes Up
  • Nintendo Whiips The Competition
  • Nintendo Wiis on Competition
  • Nintendo Wii Gets More Wee (For the inevitable redesign)
  • Competitors Cry Wii-wii-wii all the way home
but some of the best ones are from the comments on the blog post linked to above, such as:
  • Wiitarded
  • See! Wii really don’t care what the competitors think.
  • Wii Will Rock You
But I think I can do better:
  • (said in a Cartman voice) Aw, wiik.
  • Wii will wobble but it don't fall down
  • Wii shall overcome
  • Wii are the champions, my friends....
  • Wii, the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union...
Yes, there are some who contend that the name's uniqueness is contributing to the hype. I also read that it's all a hoax so that they can have a Punk'd moment at E3. Maybe. If it turns out to be a master stroke of marketing, then I'll eat my words, but I highly doubt that it's true.

Comments on Whee!

Pandora: My Favorite New Songs
LibraryThing: What I'm Currently Reading
Archive Links
Friends of the Red Bull


Sinfest by Tatsuya Ishida

Order of the Stick by Rich Burlew
The Red Bull Diary Is
The Red Bull Diary is the personal pulpit and intellectual dumping-ground for its author, an amateur game designer, professional programmer, political centrist and incurable skeptic. The Red Bull Diary is gaming, game design, politics, development, geek culture, and other such nonsense.