The Red Bull Diary   Recent Posts
RSSRSS Friday Free Games
"Your 'reality', sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
— Karl Friedrich Hieronymus, Freiherr von Münchhausen

Aliens of the Deep

I went to see Aliens of the Deep at the IMAX theater in Lincoln Center. This was my first experience with IMAX, and I have to say that my feelings are pretty mixed.

First, the good. For those, like me, who have not seen a 3D movie since Treasure of the Four Crowns, you will be pleasantly surprised that the technology has advanced quite a bit since the days of red and blue cellophane. The glasses (or "headsets," as they insisted on calling them) were comfortable, covered your entire field of vision, and didn't give you a headache after watching for 15 minutes. Second, some of the underwater cinematography is truly spectacular. Probably the greatest image in the whole movie is that of a reticulated, jellyfish-like creature with a ribbon-shaped body that rippled beautifully in the water.

But other than that, there's really very little here. I think that the target audience (I'm guessing 7- to 10-year-olds?) would probably be bored because of the lack of drama, and I, being a little older than 10, found myself frustrated with the lack of information. As eye candy goes, it was mediocre; as a documentary, it was fair. I can't speak to its effectiveness as a kids' movie, but for the adults: don't waste your time.

BSR (Base Show Rating): 4/10
Applicable Modifiers:

  • -1 if you're over the age of 10
  • +1 if you think hearing scientists ooh and ah for an hour is entertaining

Comments on Aliens of the Deep

Pandora: My Favorite New Songs
LibraryThing: What I'm Currently Reading
Archive Links
Friends of the Red Bull


Sinfest by Tatsuya Ishida

Order of the Stick by Rich Burlew
The Red Bull Diary Is
The Red Bull Diary is the personal pulpit and intellectual dumping-ground for its author, an amateur game designer, professional programmer, political centrist and incurable skeptic. The Red Bull Diary is gaming, game design, politics, development, geek culture, and other such nonsense.