The Red Bull Diary   Recent Posts
RSSRSS Friday Free Games
"Your 'reality', sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
— Karl Friedrich Hieronymus, Freiherr von Münchhausen

^GameFly Disappoints

About a month into my GameFly membership, I am disappointed with the service. When I originally evaluated the offering, I thought that the membership cost was too high, but I decided to join on a temporary basis so that I would have the freedom to try out new games with no risk, and buy them at a reduced cost if I liked them.

The first two games I rented were both great (Prince of Persia: The Warriror Within and Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders), but holding them for too long devalues my investment in the service, so I decided to buy Kingdom Under Fire. I visited the website to buy the game, only to find that it is not for sale because (from their FAQ page)

Rarely, games will not be for sale until they have been out for a month or two. However, most games are available for Keep It or Buy It within a short period of time.

I wrote an email explaining all of this to them yesterday, and funny enough, today the game is for sale. However, they charged me the same price as Amazon! This pricing and availability policy greatly reduces the value of the service and has given me enough reason to consider canceling my membership.

Comments on ^GameFly Disappoints

Pandora: My Favorite New Songs
LibraryThing: What I'm Currently Reading
Archive Links
Friends of the Red Bull


Sinfest by Tatsuya Ishida

Order of the Stick by Rich Burlew
The Red Bull Diary Is
The Red Bull Diary is the personal pulpit and intellectual dumping-ground for its author, an amateur game designer, professional programmer, political centrist and incurable skeptic. The Red Bull Diary is gaming, game design, politics, development, geek culture, and other such nonsense.