The Red Bull Diary   Recent Posts
RSSRSS Friday Free Games
"Your 'reality', sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
— Karl Friedrich Hieronymus, Freiherr von Münchhausen

That's why we call him "LC"

I originally entitled this post "What's in a Name?", but feared persecution by the Department of Cliche Prevention. However, since the Department of Cliche Prevention was deemed by President Chimp-Face to fall under the jurisdiction of the Department of Homeland Security, I have no worries. They have their heads so far up their asses that they'd never notice.

I ran across this article while looking for a new desktop wallpaper for my work computer. I have had Chad Pennington on my desktop since last season, and after Sunday's debacle, I don't want to even look at him. So I went looking for something with LC on it, and found this post. It poses an interesting question: if someone wants their name to be spelled in a way that defies the conventional rules of spelling, are we then obligated to comply?

One example he cites is Jets receiver Laveranues Coles. He pronounces his first name "la-VER-nee-us", but that's certainly not how he spells it. The article's author argues that if one departs entirely from the conventions of English spelling, then authors are under no obligation to follow suit, because (I'm guessing) the clarity of the information being communicated is compromised. For example, when Prince was a symbol, was it wrong to address him in some other way? Do I now have to go create some graphic and insert it into my writing just to satisfy some wacko's idea of self-expression? Probably not. But I do think names are too personal to be anyone's business but their owner's, and if someone named "Bob" spells their name "Shoe", I say so be it. Some explanatory footnote should cover it if the reader is unfamiliar. Proper names have always crossed the boundaries of orthography and convention, and I see no reason to say that "Shoe" (Bob) is any less valid than, say, spelling "Jen" with two n's.

Comments on That's why we call him "LC"
  Comment from Blogger MacFurious at Friday, September 16, 2005 8:32:00 PM
LC's name should be pronounced

La vir an eus - like it's spelled.
  Comment from Blogger MacFurious at Thursday, September 22, 2005 8:57:00 AM
Based on your arguement btw, I'm now spelling my name Zyxxyzzzplat, but you can call me Jason.

That's patently absurd.
  Comment from Blogger MacFurious at Thursday, September 22, 2005 8:58:00 AM
I meant to add to my last comment;

I demand you call me Jason, because that's how Zyxxyzzzplat is pronounced.

Pandora: My Favorite New Songs
LibraryThing: What I'm Currently Reading
Archive Links
Friends of the Red Bull


Sinfest by Tatsuya Ishida

Order of the Stick by Rich Burlew
The Red Bull Diary Is
The Red Bull Diary is the personal pulpit and intellectual dumping-ground for its author, an amateur game designer, professional programmer, political centrist and incurable skeptic. The Red Bull Diary is gaming, game design, politics, development, geek culture, and other such nonsense.