The Red Bull Diary   Recent Posts
RSSRSS Friday Free Games
"Your 'reality', sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
— Karl Friedrich Hieronymus, Freiherr von Münchhausen

Useful Latin Phrases

It's been a long time since I let out my inner language geek. Over a year, as I reckon — the last language-related post I made is dated January 7th of last year, when Patsy pointed the way to an article on What Tolkien Officially Said About Elf Sex.

And for those of you who perhaps never sampled the sheer depth of my geekiness, you should check out a post I wrote way back in 2005 called Grammatical Rules of Thumb, where I try my hand on making that "'i' before 'e'" thing more comprehensive.

But I didn't post today to reminisce about blog posts past, but to tell you that I am a happier and more fulfilled man than I was yesterday because I now have the ability to make lighthearted conversation at the Vatican. And you can too, thanks to this awesome list of Handy Latin Phrases, which includes such classics as:

  • Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?
    Is that a scroll in your toga, or are you just happy to see me?
  • Visne saltare? Viam Latam Fungosam scio.
    Do you want to dance? I know the Funky Broadway.
  • Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.
This way you won't be caught tongue-tied when the High Pontiff invites you to his barbecue. You can just stand by the Sacred Grill and say to His Holiness sagaciously, "Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in faciem ferri?"

Labels: ,

Comments on Useful Latin Phrases
  Comment from Blogger gnome at Thursday, May 31, 2007 7:01:00 PM
Never knew fantasy creatures had sex lives. Ah, lovely!
  Comment from Blogger T. Hackett at Monday, January 07, 2008 12:30:00 PM
You should change pecuniam to pecuniae. It's a partitive genitive. That's how they roll in classical latin.

Pandora: My Favorite New Songs
LibraryThing: What I'm Currently Reading
Archive Links
Friends of the Red Bull


Sinfest by Tatsuya Ishida

Order of the Stick by Rich Burlew
The Red Bull Diary Is
The Red Bull Diary is the personal pulpit and intellectual dumping-ground for its author, an amateur game designer, professional programmer, political centrist and incurable skeptic. The Red Bull Diary is gaming, game design, politics, development, geek culture, and other such nonsense.